Sunday, August 28, 2011

Response #3: Someplace to Respond



This is a response on the introduction of Someplace Like America: Tales From the New Great Depression by Dale Maharidge with photographs by Michael S. Williamson, which also includes a forward by Bruce Springsteen. You can find out more about the book here.

I was interested in this piece from the start just because I have recently (in the past two years) been “won over” by Bruce Springsteen. I grew up with my dad playing his songs, and although I don’t quite dig them myself, I can respect his talent and career easily. He is a good voice for America. Two years ago, or it might have been three, I saw a little bit of his performance at Bonnaroo, a music festival in Tennessee.  He knew how to talk to the crowd and I was impressed with his stage presence, he’s a very likable guy. 

The introduction was gripping from the start, talking about the death of a homeless person in Santa Barbara and how warnings were posted around the area threatening other homeless people. That sounds awful. I can’t imagine wanting to hurt people that are already enduring such hard lives, just let them be. It turns out this was a local resident who posted these fliers and was unrelated to the actual murder. It’s sad what people will do in certain situations for their own (opinionated) beliefs.  
 After the quote from a homeless person is said, “Where do you think you are?’ he asked. ‘Someplace like America?”  The introduction transitions into the writer’s view of America, of dilapidated structures and abandoned buildings all over the country. Back in high school a friend and I would sometimes sneak into one of the left for nothing warehouses or breweries off of Old Frankfort Pike. It was somewhat beautiful the way the sun shown into the rotting structures. It was easy to imagine what it was like during its prime, and sad to imagine when it closed and how it affected its workers and possibly their families. 

The introduction goes on to discuss economic hardship and I think this is something nearly every American can relate to on some level. Of course the rich and the famous might not get it but most average citizens of this country can. This reminds me of a constant fear of mine, the fear of not being successful. I don’t want life to be constant struggle when it comes to finances but sadly it is for many people.

I like how it went on to discuss some other writers, whose work was heavily inspired by American events. Steinbeck was one mentioned. I was first introduced to him through Of Mice and Men and have read another book by him since. He is a masterful writer but even more so a master of taking emotions and concern of the time and putting them into his work. I think I will be picking up a copy of In Dubious Battle soon. I can definitely understand the “group-man” idea, and I find it intriguing how he applies it to this book. 

I had never thought about people feeling or “being” in what is arguably another great depression, even if our country isn’t technically in one. It’s true that Wall Street means nothing to those that are already in economic crisis on their own. It’s clear that this book spans a great deal of time and amongst many different people in unbiased selection and I hope one day to inspect it and read it myself.

1 comment:

  1. We have a copy in the BCTC library.

    You have a great style of writing in these responses -- it almost seems effortless (but very polished)

    Credit response #3

    ReplyDelete